Wind (current)

August 30th - 9 More Birds, Plus 2 Giants!

Another hot one at Rosetta today with lots of haze.  Don't remember the last time that I saw across the lake to Niagara Falls.  At one point a few Sharpies and an Eagle were observed flying eastward out of sight.  Hopefully they'll get things sorted out and return another day to be counted.

Today:
Osprey - 2
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 4
American Kestrel - 3
Total - 9

To Date:
Turkey Vulture - 6
Osprey - 19
Bald Eagle - 6
Northern Harrier - 6
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 32
Cooper's Hawk - 1
Northern Goshawk - 0
Red-shouldered Hawk - 0
Broad-winged Hawk - 7
Red-tailed Hawk - 11
Rough-legged Hawk - 0
Golden Eagle - 0
American Kestrel - 16
Merlin - 4
Peregrine Falcon - 1
Total - 109

Here's a great photo courtesy of Cori.

adult Osprey

As I was finishing up with the Hawk Watch I saw a Giant Swallowtail, our biggest butterfly circle the area before heading towards the west end of the park.  After a thorough search I gave up on it but still happy that I at least saw it.  As I was standing chatting with some fellow birders I noticed it fly by in the distance heading towards the main garden and the chase was on again.  I located it feeding in a bed of Petunias and surprisingly not on the Butterfly Bushes.

Giant Swallowtail

A while later when I was leaving the park I stopped by the top of the rose garden to check for any other butterflies and sure enough, there was a Giant Swallowtail.  I figured it was the same one but after a look at my photos I noticed several spots on this individual where it had been damaged.

Another Giant Swallowtail!

Betty, Ron, and Cori were by today for some of the action.

Tomorrow's winds are a little lighter but still from the NW.

Walter

1 comment:

Angie in T.O. said...

Boy oh boy, I hope I see a Giant Swallow Tail tomorrow!!! :D